Both President Obama and Lafayette Congressman Charles Boustany, who recently gave the Republican response to Obama's health care address to Congress, have said that Democrats and Republicans agree on about "80 percent" of needed reforms to the country's health care system. Finding out how deep the divisions run in that remaining 20 percent will be an interesting exercise, but one which Boustany plans to engage in soon with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md.
On Tuesday, Hoyer called for a sit-down with both Boustany and Minority Whip Eric Cantor R, Va., citing Boustany's "80 percent" comment.The Hillreported Hoyer saying, "I want to find out what that 80 percent is," said Hoyer. "Because if we have 80 percent, we ought to work very hard on that remaining 20 percent."
Boustany's office says they are still working to schedule the meeting, but the congressman has issued the following statement regarding the issue:
As a heart surgeon with close to 20 years experience, I've seen the problems with rising health care costs firsthand, and Republicans, Democrats and Independents agree on many significant reforms that would lower health care costs for Americans. I appreciate the Majority Leader's desire to talk about the broad solutions I outlined following the President's remarks to Congress week before last, and I look forward to meeting with him soon to discuss patient-centered alternatives to H.R. 3200.
David Calhoun and Elizabeth “EB” Brooks are the first two employees of Lafayette Central Park Inc., the nonprofit charged with turning Lafayette Consolidated Government’s 100-acre Johnston Street Horse Farm property into a passive public park. Calhoun was named executive director, and Brooks is director of planning and design.
There will soon be a whole lot of shakin’ going on at Benny’s Sportshack Supplement Depot, a new concept by Opelousas native Benny Nele. Located at 2002 Johnston St., the supplement shop, smoothie bar and café, featuring hot off the press paninis and wraps, plans to open in late May.