|Photo by Robby Bishop|
|New Orleans chef John Besh, owner of six successful Crescent City concepts led by flagship August, presented the Best of Show prize to chef Jude Tauzin of Village Café in River Ranch.
The event, another sellout benefit for Hearts of Hope, a sexual abuse response and support center, is the largest culinary competition on the Gulf Coast. Other gold medal winners of the night were:
• Soup — Brian Berry, executive chef, Sodexho at UL Lafayette, Grilled Shiitake and Crab Bisque with crabmeat brie wonton
• Salad — Reynold Landry, executive chef, Opelousas General Health System, Blue Hawaiian Crab Salad
• Bread — Patrick Poupart, owner/chef, Poupart Bakery, Spinach and Basil Stuffed Bread with a roasted fennel butter
• Vegetable — Leon Khameson, sushi chef, Tsunami Sushi, Zucchini Linguine Alle Sauce Medley
• Poultry — Kevin Tien, sushi chef, Tsunami Sushi, Pho King Duck
• Meat & Veal — Nicholas Fadely, executive chef, Marcello’s Wine Market Café, Veal Cheek and Wild Mushroom Ragout
• Wild Game, Pork & Lamb — Calvin Cormier Jr., sous chef, Prejean’s Restaurant, Smokey’s Revenge
• Finfish — Jude Tauzin, executive chef, Village Café at River Ranch, Truffle Butter Roasted Escolar with asparagus and wild mushroom risotto and charred wild ramps, laced with Louisiana crawfish pan sauce
• Shellfish — Erik Mark, Village Café at River Ranch, Caribbean Scallops
• Dessert — Jude Tauzin, Village Café at River Ranch, Chocolate Torchon
View a comprehensive list of the night’s winners here.
in case you missed it