A handful of educators got a surprise visit this week and a welcome nod to their efforts when Lafayette Parish administrators surprised the Teachers of the Year and Principals of the Year. These winners will go on to the state level as part of the Louisiana Principal of the Year Awards Program designed to honor outstanding leaders from local school systems throughout the state.
Superintendent Dr. Pat Cooper and Assistant Superintendent Sandra Billeaudeau arrived with flowers for teachers of the year — Becky C. Cade, Allison Bloomer and Albert G. Marcel, Junior — and principals Dana Schmersahl, Kathy Aloisio and Joseph Craig.
The teacher qualities sought for the awards are:
• Inspire students of diverse backgrounds and abilities to learn.
• Have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues.
• Play an active and useful role in the community, as well as in the school.
• Be poised, articulate, and possess the energy and enthusiasm to withstand a taxing schedule.
• Exhibit knowledge of education policy.
• Be able to write knowledgeably, succinctly, and fervently about education.
• Be affiliated with professional education organizations