Before you head out the door with your little ghouls, goblins and fairy princesses for Halloween, here’s the latest updates on trick or treat times in Lafayette and surrounding areas. Rain is in the forecast, so pick up some boots, umbrellas to keep the kids dry.
“Trick or Treat will take place from 6-8 p.m. on Oct. 31, and there are no plans underway to change the date or time in the city of Lafayette or the unincorporated portions of the parish,” according to Corporal Paul Mouton with the Lafayette Police department. The public is urged to use additional caution in the event of inclement weather before taking to the streets.
However, some Lafayette parish neighborhoods are taking precautions and will be trick or treating tonight, Oct. 30. The following neighborhoods will celebrate this evening from 6-8 p.m. Please check back for additional updates from INDfamily:
Sugar Mill Pond
Copperfield South Estates and Village
Highland Ridge Subdivision
And finally, a few Halloween safety tips from the Lafayette Police Department:
• Choose costumes that are marked flame retardant and add reflective tape or reflectors to darker colored costumes.
• All children should remain under the direct supervision of parents or guardians.
• Carry a flashlight or other illuminant device.
• Have children stay within their own familiar neighborhood and only visit homes they know.
• Adults should inspect all candy prior to the children indulging.
• Give and accept wrapped or packaged candy only.
• Have props such as magic wands and swords constructed out of cardboard rather than metal or wood. This will avoid unnecessary injuries.
• Drive vehicles cautiously in areas where children are trick or treating.