David Richter with the Dulles Farmer's Market says the Creole pumpkin calls to mind the Creole tomato. "It's a marketing thing," he says. "The Creole tomato is grown by the Creole Tomato Association. It isn't really Creole. There are a jillion different varieties of pumpkin. There's one [variety] that people call Creole, and it's not a deep orange and it's not shaped like a jack-o-lantern."
At The Fruit Stand in Breaux Bridge, Creole pumpkins line a green bin, next to the orange ones. Owner Floyd Foti used to buy them from a man in Maringouin, who has since passed away. This year he got nearly 500 Creole pumpkins from a farmer in the Breaux Bridge/Cecilia area. They sell for about $3.99 each. "I'm one of the last that handles them," says Foti. "They probably originated around the Thibodaux/Houma area, because that's where the majority of them are still located. That's one of the last places where you can see them on the side of the road. There's not that many left ' it's an old seed." Foti says he's familiar with the name "Creole pumpkin" but prefers to call them "old-fashioned" or "pink" pumpkins. "They're pale yellow," he says. "They're not orange at all."
Because of their oblong shapes, Creole pumpkins aren't ideal for carving. They're better suited for cooking and have twice the shelf life of regular pumpkins. "I'd say about 85 percent are used for cooking, and the other 15 percent are used for decoration," says Foti. While Creole pumpkins may be harder to find, Foti says folks in the rural areas around Houma, like Raceland and Thibodaux, still celebrate Halloween with Creole pumpkins. And the old folks there are the ones who know its secret. Says Foti, "Generations past, that's all they cook with, those Creole pumpkins."
Thursday's Blogs from the Bog!
Women sue over sperm mix-up; Romney on campaign trail; Ebola patient was released from hospital and more national and international news for Thursday, October 02, 2014.
State Rep. Joel Robideaux, R-Lafayette, surprised few in the Hub City Wednesday afternoon when he made (semi) official what most of us have known for months: He is running to replace Joey Durel as city-parish president.
Two bedroom town home or three bedroom contemporary home
Let the party begin
Louisiana's first black Republican state senator since Reconstruction — who was a Republican before he was a Democrat before he was a Republican again — is accusing Democratic U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu of using the black community for votes and providing nothing in return.
LSU's governing board has backed new hospital privatization contracts that give hospital managers greater ease to leave the deal and fewer restrictions about must-have services.
Rachel Hector returns home to cultivate a generation of yoga instructors.
Acadiana's nightlife guide.
U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu is courting young voters in several appearances across Louisiana this week, talking about her support for legislation that could lower students' college costs.
It is distinctly possible control of the U.S. Senate will hinge on Louisiana, which is why, during the last several months, outside groups have made this the most expensive election in Louisiana history.
A constellation of South Louisiana musical stars descends on Parc Sans Souci to honor an ailing David Egan.
INDStyle Awards 2014 was one for the books; the American Cancer Society took over The Victorian's big tent; and the battle of the sexes was alive and well for Walk a Runway's Christmas fundraiser.
The Acadiana Symphony Orchestra teams up with choreographer Clare Cook for a modern take on a Stravinsky classic.
Local food pantries begin seasonal drives
A girl's best fashion friend
Stage 4 vet takes on cancer and reminds us all what it really means to get involved.
Creative living flourishes at Downtown’s artist hub
Four bedroom cottage or four bedroom traditional
Bold looks for fall define INDStyle Awards 2014
Statement pieces for the season
The gents venture out
Project Front Yard has been launched to help us change our image and our habits.
Alleged victim is a Navy vet with brain trauma resulting from a car accident three decades ago.
Is Mary fading as Vitter solidifies his lock on the fourth floor?
Richard Buswell was sentenced Tuesday to more than 10 years in prison for his role in an investment scheme that defrauded his clients of more than $6 million.
The Latin Music Festival returns to Parc International this Saturday, Oct. 4, from noon to 10 p.m.
Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration has renegotiated contracts for six LSU hospital privatization deals, hoping to reach a compromise with federal health officials that will keep Medicaid dollars flowing to the privatized patient services.
Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu is defending her record on gun rights, seeking to rebut sharp criticism from the NRA in a state where the right to bear arms is given special constitutional protection.