More than 190 names, primarily those of parents of students in public schools, have been added to the anti-Common Core lawsuit filed against the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and Superintendent John White, sources tell LaPolitics.
The additional plaintiffs were added to the suit, originally filed in Baton Rouge’s district court by 17 state legislators, on Friday and Monday morning.
“Parents started calling (last week) and I think it’s going to keep growing. They want to join the suit,” said a source involved with the anti-Common Core legal action, adding the parents are from all over the state.
Whether more names will be added is unknown, but interested parents are continuing to reach out to lawmakers.
“We are still getting bombed with names this morning to join,” said a source early Monday.
The lawmakers, mostly Republicans from the fiscal hawks group, along with two Democrats and two independents, are paying for the lawsuit out of their own pockets, sources tell LaPolitics.
The lawmakers argue the Administrative Procedures Act was not followed by the board in implementing Common Core, noting the standards were not properly advertised and publicly discussed.
White and BESE president Chas Roemer contend the board was never required to follow such guidelines and that the lawsuit has not merit.