NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Two BP rig supervisors charged with manslaughter in the death of 11 workers on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig will go on trial in 2014.
U.S. District Judge Stanwood Duval Jr. has set Jan. 13, 2014, as the start of trial for Robert Kaluza and Donald Vidrine, who are accused of disregarding high pressure readings that should have indicated trouble before BP's well blowout.
Defense lawyers said they needed more time to prepare for the trial, which had been scheduled Feb. 5.
The judge's action was made public Tuesday.
Prosecutors said in a document filed Tuesday that they expect to give defense lawyers more than a million pages of information, including electronic communications, depositions and testimony before other investigative bodies.
To speed up the transfer, they wrote, they will turn over much of it without blacking out confidential material or personal identifying information if the judge will issue an order to ensure that such material remains secret and that defense lawyers redact it from any document filed publicly.
Defense lawyers have agreed to the proposed order, according to court documents